Commitment to Privacy
At the Theatre Royal the security of personal information that we collect is of utmost importance to us.
What kinds of personal information does the Theatre Royal collect and hold?
The kinds of personal information that we collect will vary depending upon our interaction with you but may include:
- your name, address and other contact details (like your telephone number);
- your email address;
- your date of birth;
- your gender;
- transaction details relating to any purchase(s) that you have made with us or that have been made on your behalf;
- credit card details, if you purchase a subscription and opt to pay in instalments;
- Your online username;
- any preferences that you select; and
- any other personal information which may be required in order to facilitate your dealings with us.
How does the Theatre Royal collect personal information?
Generally, we collect personal information when you:
- make a purchase through our network which includes our website, agency network or box office;
- participate in a Theatre Royal survey, competition, promotion or other marketing campaign;
- indicate that you wish to receive news, offers or other marketing material from the Theatre Royal;
- make an inquiry or a complaint;
- have other dealings with us, for example, via social media or in person, over the phone or when you write to us.
Sometimes we collect personal information about you from other sources, for example:
- people making a purchase on your behalf;
- our business clients such as promoters and venue hirers; or
- third party suppliers and contractors who assist us to operate our business.
Occasionally the Theatre Royal collects personal information about individuals who are not customers. This is usually where we collect the name and business contact details of a person who is the contact in a government agency or company with whom we deal. The Theatre Royal’s policy is to only use personal information collected from non-customers for the main business purpose for which it was collected.
How does the Theatre Royal hold personal information?
The Theatre Royal may hold your personal information in electronic or hard copy format or a combination of both. This personal information may be combined or linked with other information held about you, including information that we receive from third parties. We have taken a number of physical, electronic and procedural steps to protect your personal information from misuse, interference, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
The Theatre Royal protects the personal information it collects in a secure database stored by our third party data storage provider. It is in proprietary data format, which can only be read using proprietary tools.
Data collected online is stored in a Microsoft SQL database; a protected, secure data centre that is unreachable by the internet. The Theatre Royal encrypts data sent from your computer to our systems during internet transactions. The Theatre Royal also employs firewalls, intrusion detection systems and virus scanning tools to protect against unauthorised persons and viruses from entering our systems.
Theatre Royal employees are required, as a condition of their employment, to treat personal information held by the Theatre Royal as confidential, and to maintain the confidentiality of that personal information. They are also required to use a login and password when accessing Theatre Royal systems and to undertake training about how to manage personal information.
What are the purposes for which The Theatre Royal may collect, hold, use and disclose personal information?
Generally, the Theatre Royal only uses personal information for the primary purpose for which we have collected it, or for another closely related secondary purpose. Our potential uses of personal information which the Theatre Royal collects (and for which you consent to us using your personal information for) may include:
- to process and fulfil your orders for tickets (or other items) from us;
- to contact you if there is an event cancellation or change in event details, or for the replacement of lost tickets;
- to assist in identifying ways in which we can provide you with a better service, or enhance your experience of our website and other services;
- managing your dealings with us as a Subscriber;
- so that we can promote our products and services to you and the products and services of third parties that we deal with;
- so that venue operators and promoters of events for which you purchase tickets and authorised ticket on sellers can use it for operational purposes and, in some cases, marketing and promotional purposes (please see “Who might Theatre Royal disclose my personal information to?” for further information);
- detecting and preventing fraud and unauthorised ticket on selling;
- for business research and development of new products and services;
- to facilitate the competitions, special offers and promotions that we or our partners run;
- displaying content and advertising that are customised to your interests, preferences and experiences;
- verifying your identity;
- so that we can respond to inquiries and complaint handling;
- and to comply with our legal and regulatory obligations and enforce our legal rights.
From time to time, there may be other purposes for which we collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information. We will tell you about these at the point of collection.
Direct Marketing and Research
As set out above, the Theatre Royal may use personal information about you for marketing and research purposes. However, you can manage your Theatre Royal communication preferences in a number of ways, e.g. within your account if you are an online customer; or by contacting our Privacy Officer; In addition, the marketing communications that we send to you may also contain information on how to unsubscribe from those communications.
You can also tell us at any time if you do not want us to disclose your details to other organisations such as our related companies or third parties for marketing purposes. To do this, you just need to contact our Privacy Officer.
Sometimes the Theatre Royal extracts information from our collected records to produce aggregated data. This aggregated data does not identify individuals. The Theatre Royal uses the aggregated data for research purposes and may share the data with third parties.
Who might the Theatre Royal disclose my personal information to?
The Theatre Royal may disclose your personal information:
- to third party contractors and service providers who help us operate our business or provide a service to you. The Theatre Royal may disclose your personal information to third party contractors and service providers, who, for example, help us operate our computer systems, provide us with fraud prevention services, send out our mail/email and clean collected data and who perform data analysis to group demographic attributes of individuals.
- to venue operators and to promoters of events for which you purchase tickets. Theatre Royal discloses your personal information to such organisations for operational purposes and also because from time to time they may choose to provide you with information about their future events by ordinary post. If you consent, these organisations may use this information to provide you with promotional and marketing material about their future events via email. You may change your preference to receive email marketing at any time directly with the organisations which have obtained your information. If you do not have their details, you can contact the Theatre Royal Privacy Officer directly;
- to authorised ticket on sellers who (unless they obtain a separate consent from you) use it for operational purposes only, for example, to provide you with additional information about the event or venue that you are attending;
Otherwise, the Theatre Royal will only disclose your personal information:
where we are required to do so by law;
if the disclosure is permitted under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth); or
if you have consented to the disclosure.
Does the Theatre Royal disclose personal information to overseas recipients?
Some of the recipients to whom we disclose personal information may be located overseas, most likely in the United States of America and New Zealand although the countries where such recipients are located may vary.
What happens if the Theatre Royal does not collect my personal information?
Where it is lawful and practicable to do so, we will give you the option of not providing personal information, or of using a pseudonym, when you deal with the Theatre Royal. For most events, you may be able to make a cash transaction at the Theatre Royal Box Office without providing personal information.
However, if we do not collect personal information about you at the point of sale or when you interact with us, this could impact the level of service we can provide to you, for example, we will not be able to contact you in the case of an event cancellation or venue change or we may not be able to properly respond to your inquiry or investigate your complaint or fully process your transaction.
Cookies, Tracking and Advertising
Sometimes our website contains links to third party websites, for your convenience and information. When you access a non-Theatre Royal website, please understand that the Theatre Royal is not responsible for the privacy practices of that site. We suggest that you review the privacy policies of each site you visit.
Access and Correction
Under the Australian Privacy Principles, you have a right to request access to the personal information that the Theatre Royal holds about you and seek its correction. If you are an online account holder, you are able to access or correct some of your personal information by logging onto our website - www.theatreroyal.com.au. If you are not an online account holder, so that your request reaches the right person, please send it your request to our Privacy
Officer. Please include your contact details such as email address and telephone number and enclose a copy of a form of identification such as a current driver's licence or passport. We will not charge you for making such a request but will let you know if there is a cost for supplying you with access to or correcting the personal information. We aim to respond to requests for access or correction within 30 days. There are certain situations under the Australian Privacy Principles where we may refuse to provide you with access to or correct your personal information but we will always let you know in writing if this is the case.
Complaints and how to contact our Privacy Officer
Our Privacy Officer can be contacted by:
e-mail at email@example.com
facsimile on (03) 6233 2129
letter to GPO Box 145, Hobart Tas 7000
We will always endeavour to investigate your complaint and respond to you as soon as practicable after receipt, generally within 30 days. If you are not satisfied with our response, you may refer the matter to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.